I spent the last two weeks of October resting up, checking off things I wanted to have out of the way, preparing my kids to do more of the cooking. Today was the big day.
I got so much done! I sorted out the structure of the first chapter, finally resolving three major questions about what to include, moved lots of things that may go elsewhere in the book to the end of the manuscript, where half-abandoned bits file their appeals for reconsideration when the first draft is complete.
I found that almost all the gaps in the first chapter were location transitions, so I just sat down and wrote them.
It took 341 new words.